Reporting to the Regional Finance Manager, the main purpose of the role is to provide support in all aspects of financial and management reporting for the Severn Valley business. To be fully effective in the role, the job-holder will be required to gain a practical understanding of each of the finance roles within the team and to take supervisory responsibility for the Finance team. This is an excellent opportunity as the Management Accountant will need to actively communicate and work effectively with all departments across the business, including the management team plus reporting up to Divisional and Group Finance as required. The key aspects of the role include:
• To support in the preparation of bi-monthly management accounts including a detailed variance analysis against prior year and budget comparatives.
• To assist in preparation of monthly half year and year end operating forecasts explaining clearly the drivers causing anticipated changes to results.
• Review of monthly Trading Account down to Gross Margin level including forecast and budget variance explanation.
• Working closely with the business management to assist in preparation of detailed bi-annual budgets and where necessary challenging the business on key assumptions to ensure a robust process and a commercially viable targeted result in line with the Group’s strategic goals.
• To help maintain a fully reconciled and accurate Trial Balance, ensuring all balances are reviewed for adequacy and in line with Group accounting policy, and that all identifiable risks are accurately reflected in provisioning levels.
• To assist with ensuring the business operates within an effective, efficient and controlled environment that meets the needs of the business, while ensuring risks are identified, and mitigated, in accordance with the requirements of the internal audit function.
• To supervise a small finance team responsible for general ledger, purchase ledger, sub-contractor ledger, Tax, VAT and cash book accounting, ensuring the staff are adequately trained and motivated to deliver a high quality finance function.
• Assisting to ensure the reporting requirements of Group are achieved accurately and on time including the additional requirements of half year and year end consolidation and tax packs in preparation for external audit and reporting.
• To ensure a thorough understanding of the systems, particularly COINS and ensure the integrity of the data processed and held.
• To focus on the information needs of the business and ensure these are met through optimal use of COINS and its reporting facility.
Recently ACCA or CIMA qualified, but we would also support someone who was part qualified in their studies.
The position demands a highly numerate and literate person, with a strong educational background and potentially looking for an opportunity of taking the next step in their career. Financial support for further professional studies will also be available. A strong desire to understand the bigger picture, commercial risks and operational functions of the businesses are essential, along with detailed accuracy required to interpret and present financial information in a timely manner. An intermediate / advanced practical knowledge of excel and MS office are pre-requisites. Previous housebuilding experience is advantageous but not essential.
Competitive Salary, Pension, Life Assurance, Bonus & Health Care.
Offers of employment are subject to a satisfactory background check e.g. employment history and criminal record check. These background checks are job specific to certain vacancies within Persimmon.